03 May 1. Read Thomas Wright, Chpt 1, Origins of the Colonial Legacies,? pp 7-16 and 20-31. (write a 350-w
1. Read Thomas Wright, Chpt 1, “Origins of the Colonial Legacies,” pp 7-16 and 20-31. (write a 350-word response to ONE of the questions below. Describe the consequences of the Spanish and Portuguese conquest of the New World.
a. After the Conquest, how did Spain impose an “authoritarian” form of governance on the New World? (12-16)
2. Listen to this short podcast about Simón Bolívar. Then write a 350-word response to ONE of the questions below. https://15minutehistory.org/podcast/episode-13-simon-bolivar/
a. In your own words, how would you describe Bolivar’s politics?
3. Watch the first 20 minutes of the film “Empire of Dreams” available at https://www.pbs.org/video/latino-americans-episode-2-empire-dreams/ And the first 20 minutes of “Black in Latin America: Cuba, the Next Revolution” available at https://www.youtube.com/watch/k7p30a4auyA When you have finished watching, write a 350-word response to this question:
a. How does taking race into account change your understanding of the war of 1898?
4. Listen to the podcast This American Life, episode “Hearts and Minds,” on the overthrow of Guatemalan president Jacobo Arbenz in 1954: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/200/hearts-and-minds
a. When you have finished, write a 350-word response to the question: What role did false propaganda play in the CIA’s overthrow of Arbenz in Guatemala?
5. If you do not have access to Netflix, watch the film Fidel Castro, from minutes from 11:30-1:03:00, available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GPReixtd64&ab_channel=RichardHogan&fbclid=IwAR3YJgRtESVqpf4RL4CP73ZOkk9SK7anoFq2ncn5c4OBTDAO_KWZZKnR6JI
a. When you have finished, write a 350-word response, drawing on the documentary film and the readings, that explain in your own words how and why relations between the US and Cuba deteriorated so rapidly between 1959 and 1961.
6. You may choose ONE of the following assignments.
Option 1: Watch the first 45 minutes of the film "The Day that Lasted 21 Years: How the US Propped Up a Latin American Dictatorship.” When you are finished, write a 350-word response to this question: According to this film, how and why did the US government support the military dictatorship that emerged in Brazil after 1964? Your answer should give specific examples of actions undertaken by US presidents and other government bodies such as the CIA, the military, the US Embassy in Brazil, etc.
Option 2: Watch the documentary film Mercedes Sosa: The Voice of Latin America available on Kanopy throughout 45:00, then from 1:05-1:10. Then write a 350-word response to this question: How does Mercedes Sosa’s life reflect political trends in Latin American history?
7. Watch the movie The Official Story (1985), available on Kanopy. Then write a 350-word response to ONE of the following questions.
a. Some people have criticized this film for asking the viewer to sympathize with a woman who is essentially on the side of the victimizers, rather than the victimized. What is your reaction to that criticism?
b. Would you consider The Official Story a “feminist” film? Why or why not?
HOW OUR WEBSITE WORKS
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of
HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE.
To make an Order you only need to click ORDER NOW and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteDen. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.
Deadline range from 6 hours to 30 days.
Once done with writing your paper we will upload it to your account on our website and also forward a copy to your email.
Upon receiving your paper, review it and if any changes are needed contact us immediately. We offer unlimited revisions at no extra cost.
Is it Safe to use our services?
We never resell papers on this site. Meaning after your purchase you will get an original copy of your assignment and you have all the rights to use the paper.
Our price ranges from $8-$14 per page. If you are short of Budget, contact our Live Support for a Discount Code. All new clients are eligible for 20% off in their first Order. Our payment method is safe and secure.
Please note we do not have prewritten answers. We need some time to prepare a perfect essay for you.