18 Jun Distinguish chronological, functional, and subjective measures of age. Explain and evaluate age cohorts. Explain the intersections between age and other sour
you need to do a survey of about 20 people of age
follow what the question is asking in survery.pdf
also scheme through lecture.pdf to know instructors intent
Lecture 08 – Sources of Diversity – Age
Diversity in American Society
Students who complete this lecture have the information to complete the following
Distinguish chronological, functional, and subjective measures of age.
Explain and evaluate age cohorts.
Explain the intersections between age and other sources of identity.
What is age?
• Age is a measure of the amount of time a person has lived.
• Chronological age is the length of time from birth.
• Functional age is the ability and behavior of a person relative to established age norms.
• Subjective age is how young or old a person feels.
Childhood Adolescence Adult Middle-Age Elder
“Acting Your Age”
"Immature" "Normal" "Mature"
• Age cohorts are a group of people born around the same time period from a particular population that share certain life events and experiences over their life course.
• The establishment of age cohorts based on “…certain life events and experiences…” are an indication of how social changes affect how people are perceived based on their age.
• Age cohorts become a common source of stereotypes.
Age Cohorts and Subject Age
• Chronological Age Cohorts
• “The Greatest Generation”
• “The Silent Generation”
• Born 1928-1945
• “Baby Boomers”
• Born 1946-1965
• “Generation X”
• Born 1965-1980
• Born 1981-1996
• “Generation Z”
• Born 1997-2012
Intersections with Age
Intersections with Age
• There are several intersections between age and ethnicity, nationality, and race.
• How are the young and elderly perceived in your culture?
• When can you legally participate in your nation’s politics by voting or holding office?
• What is the average life expectancy for individuals of different races?
• Use the following questions to assess your understanding of the information within this lecture:
• What is the difference between chronological, functional, and subjective age?
• What are age cohorts?
• In what ways does age intersect with sex, gender, and sexual orientation?
• In what ways does age intersect with race, ethnicity, and nationality?
1. Select the following statements that would be an example of ageism.
A younger person is told that they do not have the experience to hold a position of upper management within their workplace because they are "too young," even though they have demonstrated the skills and abilities to do the job.
Passing laws that ensure that children are not exploited as workers or laborers by those who would take advantage of their vulnerability.
Promoting anti-aging products and services that mask or hide the typical physical changes that coincide with aging so that a person can be considered "beautiful."
Members of an older generation proclaim that the common interests and activities of those in younger generations are of inherently less quality than their own interests and activities.
A person who has all the qualifications for a job is denied a position to which they applied because the employer says that they are "not a good culture fit."
A person sees someone who is older using a walker to assist with their mobility and assumes that their mobility issues are caused by their age.
An organization is developed to ensure that the rights and opportunities of those who are older are protected because older members within a society are likely to be targets of abuse and exploitation.
A young adult forgets the keys to their car as the leave the house and proclaims that they've had "a senior moment," asserting that forgetfulnesses is something that only old people do.
Ask at least 10 different people at what age a person is considered "old," and have them explain what
characteristics they typically associated with being "old." Then, calculate the mean "old age" by dividing
the sum of their responses by 10 (the total number of people who you asked) and make note of any
common characteristics cited by your respondents of what it means to be "old." In at least one paragraph
5-6 sentences , describe the results of your survey and explain what you think that information means.
Ask at least 10 different people at what age a person is no longer considered "young," and have them
explain what characteristics they typically associated with being "young." Then, calculate the
mean "young age threshold" by dividing the sum of their responses by 10 (the total number of people who
you asked) and make note of any common characteristics cited by your respondents regarding what it
means to be "young." In at least one paragraph 5-6 sentences, describe the results of your survey and
explain what you think that information means.
In at least one paragraph 5-6 sentences, identify and describe one way in which individuals can challenge
ageism in their everyday lives.
HOW OUR WEBSITE WORKS
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of
HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE.
To make an Order you only need to click ORDER NOW and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteDen. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.
Deadline range from 6 hours to 30 days.
Once done with writing your paper we will upload it to your account on our website and also forward a copy to your email.
Upon receiving your paper, review it and if any changes are needed contact us immediately. We offer unlimited revisions at no extra cost.
Is it Safe to use our services?
We never resell papers on this site. Meaning after your purchase you will get an original copy of your assignment and you have all the rights to use the paper.
Our price ranges from $8-$14 per page. If you are short of Budget, contact our Live Support for a Discount Code. All new clients are eligible for 20% off in their first Order. Our payment method is safe and secure.
Please note we do not have prewritten answers. We need some time to prepare a perfect essay for you.