03 Jan Music of the Twentieth Century, Part 2?
Music of the Twentieth Century, Part 2?
1. In the song “Tonight” from the musical West Side Story, the composer distributed two basic melodies
among different characters to create a kind of _______, in which nothing disappears but new layers are
A. dissonant form
B. layered presence
C. additive form
D. consonant counterpoint
2. The type of music that blended the musical styles of jump blues and honky-tonk was
A. rock ‘n’ roll.
B. hip hop.
3. _______ works are often playful in spirit, a reaction against the unrelenting seriousness of much
4. A modern-day retelling of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet is carried out in the musical
A. My Fair Lady.
B. The Mikado.
C. H.M.S. Pinafore.
D. West Side Story.
5. Which of the following musicals was the first to tackle the issue of racism?
A. Show Boat
B. My Fair Lady
D. South Pacific
6. A musical style that combines traditional and modern elements is called
7. Minimalist techniques have been applied in many different kinds of music, including
C. rock ‘n’ roll.
8. Aaron Copland varies the _______ throughout his movement “Hoe-Down” to create variety.
9. Public Enemy’s abrasive rap recording “Fight the Power” has a basic pulse of _______ beats per minute.
10. The _______ were interested in the hypnotic quality of the repeated melodic fragments and interlocked
patterns created by the gamelan.
11. Which of the following composers wrote the music for West Side Story?
A. Cole Porter
B. George M. Cohan
C. Jerome Kern
D. Leonard Bernstein
12. A chromatic scale consists entirely of
A. whole steps.
B. quarter steps.
C. half steps.
D. tonal centers.
13. Notes that begin a phrase before a downbeat are known as pick-up notes, or a/an
B. shuffle groove.
C. call and response.
D. duck walk.
14. Which composer engaged in scholarly studies that focused on the social dimension of music and the
ways it’s used within and between cultures?
A. John Williams
B. Béla Bartók
C. Leonard Bernstein
D. John Cage
15. Debussy’s Voiles was inspired by a Javanese ensemble known as a
16. On whose show did Elvis Presley make his famous debut?
A. Dick Clark
B. Ed Sullivan
C. Milton Berle
D. Steve Allen
17. Which composer’s work has been likened to Brahms and Dvořák?
A. John Cage
B. Austin Wintory
C. John Williams
D. Philip Glass
18. Which of the following works can be likened to program music?
A. Sonata II
B. Concerto for Orchestra
D. Concertino for Harp and Orchestra
19. What does the word kebyar mean?
20. Which of the following is used in Sonata II’s prepared piano?
A. Small pieces of rubber
B. Copper wire
C. Wooden blocks
HOW OUR WEBSITE WORKS
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of
HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE.
To make an Order you only need to click ORDER NOW and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteDen. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.
Deadline range from 6 hours to 30 days.
Once done with writing your paper we will upload it to your account on our website and also forward a copy to your email.
Upon receiving your paper, review it and if any changes are needed contact us immediately. We offer unlimited revisions at no extra cost.
Is it Safe to use our services?
We never resell papers on this site. Meaning after your purchase you will get an original copy of your assignment and you have all the rights to use the paper.
Our price ranges from $8-$14 per page. If you are short of Budget, contact our Live Support for a Discount Code. All new clients are eligible for 20% off in their first Order. Our payment method is safe and secure.
Please note we do not have prewritten answers. We need some time to prepare a perfect essay for you.