Read Chapters 27 & 28 and the “National Organization for Women, ‘Statement of Purpose' (1966)", :
- According to the authors of the document what justifications have been used to prevent women from enjoying equal opportunities and freedom of choice?
- What accounts for the disparity in earning power of women compared to men?
- What areas of the professions are most glaringly dominated by men?
- What is Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and why is it important to women?
- What specific recommendations does NOW present that will enable women to enjoy true equality of opportunity and responsibility in society, without conflict with their responsibilities as mothers and homemakers?
- What do the authors mean by calling for a new image of women?
Read Chapters 29 & 30 and “Bill Clinton on Free Trade and Financial Deregulation (1993-2000)”, :
- According to Clinton, what will be the benefits of NAFTA and the projected dismantling of trade barriers?
- What contradictions are apparent in his argument for embracing the global economy?
- What is the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act designed to do?
- Who advocated deregulating the derivatives market, and what do these entities represent?
- In the longer run, did NAFTA along with the deregulation of financial markets produce the benefits that Clinton envisioned? Why or why not?