The Literacy Autobiography is part summary and part personal response to Sherman Alexie’s short story, “Superman and Me Download Superman and Me” (“SM”). Originally published in 1997, “SM” is a personal story of Alexie’s relationship to reading as a young boy growing up on an Indian reservation. In the Literacy Autobiography, you will summarize Alexie’s short story and then use it as a springboard to narrate your own story, which will be formed by answering one of the response prompts provided below.
- 5 full paragraphs meeting the following assignment structure:
- Summary/Introduction: Introductory paragraph that provides a summary of “SM.”
- Response/Body Paragraphs: Three body paragraphs, written as a personal narrative that respond to one of the provided prompts. Using “SM” as an example text, these paragraphs should focus on your own personal story.
- Conclusion: Concluding paragraph that provides readers with the overall significance of your experience (why it is valuable or meaningful).
- APA style, including formatting (12-point, Times New Roman font, double spacing, indented paragraphs, page numbers, etc.), a title page, in-text citations, and a References page.
Class resources (weekly video and written lectures, assignments, and resources) provide instruction on each component of the Literacy Autobiography. Be sure to utilize your resources for a successful.