In this project, you will demonstrate your mastery of the following competency:
- QSO-30167: Plan a project according to project management best practices
You have been hired as a project manager for a software company, ABC Solutions. Their business development team has received a product request from a new client, XYZ Financial Services. They need a custom software solution to streamline some workflows and processes that will be implemented in their offices worldwide. Your company has developed a similar software solution, but the client requires additional features and customization. The new software needs to be ready for a test run at two of the offices in about six months and worldwide rollout in another three months. Your boss, the project director, has asked you to manage this product development project.
ABC Solutions uses the traditional waterfall method for software development. The proposed project schedule should include the following major tasks: determine the software requirements, design, code test, system test, address issues with software, and deliver the prototype. You have been asked to assemble a team with the skills and expertise to perform these tasks.
Before initiating the project, you, the project director, and a software architect meet with the IT director and product manager of XYZ Financial Services to understand their requirements. They explain that the custom software should include three new features, five feature customizations, and a new interface design to match the client’s brand colors and logo.
Later, you and some key team members analyze the scope and requirements to arrive at some critical decisions and conclusions. These have been summarized in two project documents:
- The project charter PDF that includes the project objectives and other important details
- A document with the efforts estimated PDF for each development task
You will need to choose and allocate resources from the following available team members: a user interface (UI) designer, UI developers, a software architect, technical team leads, software developers, and software testers. You will also have access to two team members from the development team of the original software, who will act as consultants for your team. However, these members are only available part time since they are also busy on other projects.
Use the information from the scenario, including the project charter and effort estimates, to create a single file that includes the following components: stakeholder register, risk register, work breakdown structure (WBS), and responsibility matrix. You can also make reasonable assumptions to help you complete these tasks. But, be sure to explain your assumptions. Address each of the tasks outlined below.
- Stakeholder register: Identify and list the stakeholders for this project. Ensure it includes the following details:
- Their names
- Their role in the project
- Their influence on the project and its outcomes
- Risk register: Identify and describe at least four individual project risks, including the risks identified in the project charter. The register should include the following details for each risk:
- The description of the risk
- The probability the risk may occur
- The impact the risk can have on the project
- The response plan if the risk occurs
- The person responsible for handling the risk
- The status of the risk
- Work Breakdown Structure (WBS): Create a WBS and Networking Diagram for the project. It should include the major milestones and all tasks arranged in the order they should be completed in the project. Also, be sure to indicate any dependencies between tasks.
- Responsibility Assignment Matrix: Create a responsibility matrix with a responsible, accountable, consulted, and informed (RACI) chart that shows how the tasks in the project are assigned to the respective team members. Also, include a RACI chart for all stakeholders you identified earlier.
What to Submit
To complete this project, you must submit the following:
Project Management Plan
Create a project management plan that includes the stakeholder register, the risk register, the WBS, and a responsibility matrix. Combine all four components into a single file. Remember to cite any references in the APA format.
QSO 340 XYZ Business Workflow Project Charter
Project Title XYZ Business Workflow
Business Case XYZ Financial Services needs a custom software solution to streamline workflows and processes in their offices worldwide. The new software will replace the multiple current applications they currently use with a single comprehensive solution.
Project Purpose Develop a custom software solution based on the ABC Workflow v3.0.
Use ABC Workflow v3.0 as the framework
Develop three new features, customize five of the existing features, and redesign the UI to match brand colors as specified in the Software Requirements document
XYZ Business Workflow v1.0 XYZ Business Workflow v1.1
Project Personnel Project manager
User interface (UI) designer
UI developer Technical team leads
Schedule Summary 09/15/xx –Release 1: XYZ Business Workflow 1.0 12/15/xx –Release 2: XYZ Business Workflow 1.1
Measurable S uccess Criteria
Release 1 is deployed successfully at two customer locations with three new features, five customized features, and approved UI design
Release 2 is deployed successfully at all customer locations with all requested features and approved UI design
- QSO 340 XYZ Business Workflow Project Charter
- Project Title
- XYZ Business Workflow
- Business Case
- Project Purpose
- Project Objectives
- Project Deliverables
- Project Personnel
- Schedule Summary
- Measurable Success Criteria
QSO 340 XYZ Business Workflow Resource and Effort Estimates
Project: XYZ Business Workflow Expected Start Date: March 1st Expected End Date: December 15th
Full-time r esources: Software architect—Michael Lee
Technical team lead—To be decided (TBD)
Software testers—TBD UI design and development team—TBD
Part-time r esources: Julia Smith—Product Manager (ABC Workflow v3.0)
Ryan Hernandez—Team Lead (ABC Workflow v3.0)
Task Estimated efforts
Requirements Analysis 1 UI design and development 3
Feature 1 Development 10 Feature 2 Development 8
Feature 3 Development 7 Feature Customization 1 6 Feature Customization 2 6
Feature Customization 3 4 Feature Customization 4 3
Feature Customization 5 1 Software System Testing 1
- QSO 340 XYZ Business Workflow Resource and Effort Estimates
- Full-time resources:
- Part-time resources:
- Effort Estimates: